Saturday, April 23, 2011

I am very sorry to say that I have to write this blog to tell you that Pikey passed away this evening.

Late on Wednesday evening she was moved from Intensive Care to Medical Ward 2. Early next morning Robyn, Elinor and I arrived at the hospital to arrange the transfer of her to home as recommended by the consultant in the Intensive Care Unit. Despite the close proximities of the Easter break we made very good progress towards arranging it.

The consultant haematologist on duty advised us that he would like to see whether or not her renal functions would improve during the day. So we had to halt the organisation started by the ward and she was then moved to Medical Ward 3 where the oncology patients go. She was put into a nice spacious single room. This hope for recovery proved very rapidly to be false one.

Robyn and I spent Thursday night in the hospital with her while Elinor went home to recharge her batteries. The nursing care and support to us all in Ward 3 was wonderful. We all three slept in her room last night.

Good Friday and today were horrendous as her condition deteriorated but she hung on. She was relaxed and peaceful but it was a stressful time. She lost the battle at 8.10 this evening. Robyn, Elinor and I were with her at the end. It was calm.

On a positive note I am very grateful that Pikey survived her illness for 13 years when we were told that 5 years was the norm; but, of course, she had to endure many difficult and distressing moments. Life recently has been stressful for all to say the least.

It is only seven days since Pikey drove her “Ferrari” up the road to Elinor’s house and it seems totally unrealistic that all that improvement has been torn away in just those seven days.

At the moment naturally I have not been able to get my head round our plans for the funeral etc etc but I will be sorting it out with the help of Robyn and Elinor who have been wonderful. I do not know how I would have coped without their help.

Loads of ♥♥♥♥♥♥ from Robert, Robyn and Elinor.

6 comments:

Mark and Jan said...

All our love to you and thanks for all your have done for Pikey at the end and over the years.

Anonymous said...

Robert & Family, so very sorry to read about Pikey, please accept our most sincere condolences. Mike & Doreen Holder. ( we met at Creagan House)

Tony said...

Sending all our love from Lovedean and thinking of you all.

Laura and Marcus said...

So very sorry to hear about Pikey, our hearts and prayers go out to all of you. All our Love, Laura, Marcus, Diana and the boys...

Unknown said...

To Robert,Elanor and Robyn

We send our deepest sympathy having heard the sad news of the loss of Pikey.

She was a lovely friend and I have some wonderful memories of her from the time we spent together, when I was working at the Mill.
She was the warmest of people, always laughing, and Dad and I look back on those days with great affection.

All our love
Mark, Hayley & Matthew xxx

Karelyn Parno said...

Robert, Robyn & Elinor,
We were heartbroken to hear about Auntie Pikey's passing, our deepest condolences to you all. Thank you for so graciously sharing your blog, the depth of yours and your family's love for each other shined through it all. You are in our thoughts and we send our love,
Karelyn, Barry, Emma & Megan Parno