Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sorry this is late but…..
Well ............on Saturday I went to Embsay Mill with Hazel Kennell to help her buy (intellectually not financially) the necessary bits and pieces for the cross-stitch work she wants to do when she goes off to Malta for long periods this autumn.
On Monday I put Brindley into kennels and drove down to stay with Chris and Ann Martin – she’s is Pikey’s first cousin. We went the next day to have lunch with her younger sister who has recently been widowed so we all had a good moan about death, probate, solicitors, loneliness etc – actually quite good fun ‘cos you’ve got to laugh at death as well as life!!
I left them on Wednesday morning to have lunch with my brother Mark and my sister-in-law Eva neither of whom are terribly well. I had not seen them for ages and am quite concerned about them.
Then I went on to stay with Rosemary Segrove in her new abode in Beaconsfield. The next day Rosemary ands I drove around the Beaconsfield – High Wycombe area to see old haunts. We went to see the house Jill and I bought in Prestwood in 1966 and amazingly Rosemary’s bridge partners live in the next door house – how’s that for a coincidence.
On Friday (when I should have done this blog) I drove down to stay with Robyn, Tony and Annie. On the way I called at Sutton Cemetery to try and find my grandfather’s grave. I found it – I had never seen it before. Then I went on down to Kingswood to see the house in which I was born – the site has been redeveloped although the house is still there but has been extended since I last saw it. Kingswood is like Beaconsfield - full of giant six bedroom, six bathrooms houses all with pillars either side of their front doors – YUK.
Then I went down to Copthorne School where the school secretary showed me around. I spotted an old wall among all the new buildings which I thought might just have been the target end of the old 25 yard rifle range. I went up to have a look and bingo there were all the old .22 slugs embedded in the wall. Some of them must have been fired by myself in 1949 at the latest – 62 years ago. I know mine were the ones closely grouped in the middle because I won the Shooting Cup!!
I hope to do next week’s blog in a more timely fashion as I will be getting home next Friday.

Another church magazine extract..
Miss Charlene Mason sang 'I will not pass this way again' giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.

Loads of ♥♥♥♥♥♥ from Robert.
This blog is still being posted every Friday around tea time.

1 comment:

Susie Felber said...

What an amazing adventure. Doesn't sound like there was a dull moment. Glad you are getting out, visiting and exploring.