Friday, September 02, 2011

Last weekend I went down to the Peak District to stay with Stephen and Gillian Marsden, old mates of ours who now live in a farm across the lane from Rushup Cottage Farm. It was really good to see the place again - it hasn't changed that much. But it did bring back floods and floods of memories but that was bearable. Maybe I'm just getting used to my new modus vivendi.

On the Friday Gillian and I went over to meet up with her daughter who is Assistant Agent at Knowsley Hall. The old house is not open to the public and we were shown round by the curator. Quite a treat as we had the place to ourselves.Thanks so much, Gemma, for arranging it all.

On the Saturday I drove down to Lichfield to catch up with Diana Hill, the daughter of our old next door neighbour when we lived in Towersey. She is now married to Peter Phillips and they are very happy in their new house. She works as secretary to the Bishop of Lichfield and we went round the cathedral and Samuel Johnson's house - both fascinating. The cathedral is having the stained glass windows restored and so the window openings in the Lady Chapel were just plain glass and it made an incredibly light and airy place. Personally I think I would prefer a clear glazed cathedral in future with no stained glass to block the light.

On Sunday we walked around Derwent Dam, the middle one at Ladybower. It was Bank Holiday Monday and what amazed me was the thousands and thousands of cars and their contents at the reservoirs, in Castleton and up at Mam Tor. This area seems so much quieter.

This week has been a quiet one but, in clearing out yet more of Pikey's hoard, I found a painting by her grandmother of the waterfall at Speke's which she did in 1930 when she was down staying at Hartland Quay Hotel, I presume, with Pikeys great grandmother, Pikey's own mother and her uncle. Quite disturbing bearing in mind the events of last month. Compare it with Robyn's picture on the earlier blog two Fridays ago.
Here it is:-

Loads of ♥♥♥♥♥♥ from Robert.
This blog is still being posted every Friday around tea time.

2 comments:

Diana said...

It was great to see you. Glad you made it home safely.

Love, Diana

Susie Felber said...

Thanks for the post! What an amazing painting. Really good and great to compare it.